Minecraft was created by Markus Persson, also known as “Notch,” a Swedish video game programmer and designer. The idea for Minecraft came to Notch in 2009 when he was experimenting with various game designs. He created a prototype of Minecraft, which he called “Cave Game,” and released it publicly for feedback.
The prototype was well received, and Notch continued to develop the game with the help of a small team at Mojang Studios, which he founded with his friend Jakob Porser. Notch focused on the game’s programming and design, while Porser worked on the graphics and website.
The first public version of Minecraft, called the “Classic” version, was released in May 2009. It was a simple block-based game where players could build and destroy structures in a 3D world. As the game gained popularity, Notch and his team continued to add features and improve the gameplay.
The full version of Minecraft was released in November 2011 and included new game modes, creatures, and tools. The game became a massive success and has since been released on numerous platforms, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and mobile devices.
In 2014, Microsoft acquired Mojang Studios, and Notch left the company soon after. However, Minecraft continued to be developed by Mojang Studios and has become one of the best-selling video games of all time, with over 200 million copies sold as of May 2020.
So Who are Mojang Studios?
Mojang Studios is a video game development studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. It was founded in 2009 by Markus Persson, also known as “Notch,” along with Carl Manneh and Jakob Porser. Mojang Studios is best known for creating the hugely popular game Minecraft, which was originally developed by Notch before Mojang Studios took over its development.
In addition to Minecraft, Mojang Studios has also developed several other video games, including Scrolls and Cobalt. The company was acquired by Microsoft in 2014, but it continues to operate as a separate entity and develops games for multiple platforms, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and mobile devices.
Why did Microsoft buy Mojang Studios?
Microsoft bought Mojang Studios for $2.5 billion in 2014. The acquisition was driven by several factors, including the huge success of Minecraft and the potential for the game to be further expanded and integrated into Microsoft’s ecosystem of products and services.
At the time of the acquisition, Minecraft had already sold over 50 million copies across multiple platforms, and it had become a cultural phenomenon with a large and dedicated fanbase. By acquiring Mojang Studios, Microsoft gained control over one of the most popular and lucrative game franchises in the world, and it could leverage Minecraft’s popularity to drive sales of other Microsoft products and services.
In addition to the financial benefits, Microsoft also saw strategic value in owning a studio with a strong track record of developing innovative and engaging games. Minecraft has continued to be a massive success under Microsoft’s ownership, and Mojang Studios has also continued to develop new games and expand the Minecraft franchise, including the creation of Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth. Read more great content with the official How to set up a Minecraft Server guide today!
How many Minecraft users are there?
This is difficult to define exactly, however as at April 2023 it is estimated that over 202 Million users Worldwide have purchased the game. Whilst this doesn’t detail the exact amount of user accounts, it does highlight the amount of installations / game versions that are in existence. The user accounts are estimated to be around 128 million per month as at April 2023.
As of May 2020, Minecraft had sold over 200 million copies across all platforms, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time. Why not learn related knowledge with the what is a Minecraft server guide.
It is estimated that there are currently over 126 million monthly active players of Minecraft. However, it’s important to note that this number includes players across all platforms, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and mobile devices. It’s also worth noting that these numbers are constantly changing as new players join the game and existing players continue to play.
So why do people like Minecraft?
People like Minecraft for many reasons, but here are a few of the most common:
- Creative freedom: Minecraft allows players to build and create almost anything they can imagine, with no set goals or objectives. This creative freedom allows players to express themselves and create unique and imaginative structures, landscapes, and worlds.
- Exploration and discovery: Minecraft’s randomly generated worlds offer endless opportunities for exploration and discovery. Players can explore caves, mines, and other hidden places to uncover valuable resources and secrets.
- Multiplayer: Minecraft can be played with friends or other players online, allowing for social interaction and collaboration. This is especially appealing to younger players who enjoy playing and interacting with others.
- Customization: Minecraft offers a wide range of customization options, including skins, mods, and texture packs, which allow players to customize their game experience to suit their preferences.
- Relaxation: Many players find Minecraft to be a relaxing and soothing experience. The game’s slow pace and peaceful music can help reduce stress and anxiety, making it a popular choice for players of all ages. Issues such as choosing the right Minecraft server in 2023 is not as easy as one might think, read our guide for more information and advice.
What do people not like about Minecraft
While Minecraft is generally a safe and enjoyable game, there are some potential negative elements associated with playing it. Here are a few examples:
- Addiction: Some players may become addicted to Minecraft and spend excessive amounts of time playing the game, which can lead to neglect of other responsibilities such as schoolwork, socializing with friends and family, and physical activity.
- Online safety: As with any online activity, there is a risk of encountering inappropriate or harmful content or individuals. Parents should monitor their children’s online activity and take steps to ensure their safety.
- Inappropriate content: While Minecraft is generally a family-friendly game, some user-generated content such as mods, skins, and servers may contain inappropriate or offensive material. Parents should be aware of this and monitor their children’s access to user-generated content.
- Screen time: Playing Minecraft, like any screen-based activity, can lead to excessive screen time which has been linked to various health problems, including obesity, sleep disturbance, and eye strain.
- Isolation: Some players may become so immersed in the game that they neglect socializing with friends and family in real life, leading to social isolation and loneliness.
It’s important to note that these negative elements are not unique to Minecraft, and many of them can be addressed through responsible use and parental supervision. The team at Top Minecraft Servers has compiled this Minecraft guide to help people learn morea about this exciting game.
What can we expect to see in the future in Minecraft?
Minecraft continues to evolve and expand, and there are several developments and updates to the game that players can look forward to in the future. Here are a few examples:
- Modding support: Minecraft has a large and active modding community, and Mojang Studios has announced plans to improve modding support in future updates to make it easier for players to add mods to the game.
- More cross-platform play: Minecraft has become increasingly cross-platform in recent years, allowing players on different devices to play together. Mojang Studios is expected to continue to expand cross-platform play in the future, making it easier for players to connect and play together.
- Virtual reality support: Minecraft already supports virtual reality (VR) on several platforms, including PC and PlayStation, and this support is expected to expand in the future as VR technology continues to improve.
- New games: In addition to Minecraft, Mojang Studios has already developed several other games, including Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth. Players can expect more new games and spin-offs based on the Minecraft franchise in the future.